Monday, February 01, 2010

Seals






I hope you enjoyed the alphabetical themes again. I believe this was the fifth time I did this and have enjoyed all of them, so I will probably use this approach again from time to time.

Last week during our cold spell, a thin layer of ice formed in the Holyrood Marina and several seals were "sunning" themselves about 150 feet from the docks. The first photo is an original taken with my 70-300 mm lens. The other photos were cropped from the originals to show closer views of the seals. The images were made around noon and the lighting was pretty good.

Even though I was quite a distance from the seals, they were well aware of my presence and a little nervous. When they are resting they look like "blobs" on the ice and to get them to look up I clapped my hands or threw rocks in the water, then took photos when I could see their faces.

Last week I said that the white ibis was an exotic bird for me because we don't have them here. Seals are fairly common around this area, but I still like to photograph them whenever I see them resting on the ice close to shore. I assume that those of you on this list who don't live near the North Atlantic think that these animals are "exotic" because you don't see them often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great resource!

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...