Saturday, September 15, 2007

Sunrise

Sorry I am late with my Photo of the Day and am sending several images of a sunrise I photographed last weekend.

I stood outside my house and waited for the sun to rise. The following photo essay is a record of what I saw that morning.




The clouds were just turning pink when I went outside. My first photo was taken with my 17-40 mm wide angle lens. There was a heavy mist around the hill in the background.


Next, I changed lenses and zoomed in on the clouds to try to capture the pink colours.


It was a quiet morning and when I heard a moose walking through a nearby bog, I sneaked back to see if I could see it.


I tried to photograph the moose and did get 1 photo. It knew I was there and as soon as I took this "out of focus" photo, it ran away. I was going to delete this image, but realized that it captured exactly what I saw. I could barely see the moose through the trees and focusing through the branches was a challenge.


When I returned to the sunrise I could hardly believe the difference. The pink clouds had disappeared and the sun's rays were beginning to illuminate the morning sky. Again, my first photo was a wide angle view.



I zoomed in on the hills and rays. I purposely left in a small part of the land. I actually made several compositions with differing proportions of land and sky.



Zooming in closer made an interesting composition. The trees near the centre are golden around the edges.


The last photo is a close up of the rays. I don't think they are as dramatic as in wider views, but I liked this image too.


I apologize for all the photos, but wanted to share the beauty I experienced that morning just by getting up early and stepping outside my back door. Photography lets me share these experiences with you.

No comments:

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel In May 2016, my wife and I had a pleasurable stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel in Banff, Alberta. Of cou...