Monday, June 25, 2007

Iceberg

Yesterday afternoon I went on a boat ride to 4 icebergs located in the Spaniard's Bay / Bishop's Cove area. Last week there was one huge iceberg that broke apart into smaller pieces.

The three photos I am sending today were taken as we went around one iceberg. I ask people who are not from Newfoundland and Labrador to imagine being this close to a huge piece of ice that was formed more than 10 000 years ago. The bluish green colour of the ice that is just beneath the surface of the water gives you an idea that there is much more to this berg that we can see. Since seven-tenths of the volume of icebergs are under water and invisible to us, and the peaks on this berg are 30 - 50 feet high, you can imagine how much of it is under water!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And for simple entertainment's sake--does anyone else see the figure of the reclining man on the left side of the berg?

Judie Hall Noble
Pepperrell AFB High School
St. Johns' Nfld.
Class of 1959/1960

K. Bruce Lane - Photo of the Day said...

I don't see it. :)

Bald Eagles

Bald Eagles I spent a rainy day yesterday organizing my Facebook Albums that featured photographs of different bird species. Now, I can find...