Friday, September 18, 2015

Flat Bay - Processing















Flat Bay
Processing

Once the rock was brought from the open pit it was dumped into huge crushers which broke it into smaller pieces. It was piled on site until a ship came in to be loaded, or a truck for Corner Brook was ready to load.

In 1993, I was contracted to create a series of videotapes on Mining in Newfoundland and Labrador and it was a dull day when I travelled to Flat Bay with a videographer to videotape and photograph the gypsum mining operations, which were quite big operation. It was only a year or so later that this mine closed.
Much of the gypsum from this mine was shipped out of the province in large ships, however some was shipped to a wallboard factory in Corner Brook where the rock was further processed to be made into gyproc.


Feel free to share with family and friends.

You can view more of my photos on my web site and Facebook Pages:

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...