Thursday, September 17, 2015

Flat Bay - Open Pit























Flat Bay
Open Pit

In 1993, I was contracted to create a series of videotapes on Mining in Newfoundland and Labrador, and it was a dull day when I travelled to Flat Bay with a videographer to videotape and photograph the gypsum mining operations, which were quite big operation. It was only a year or so later that this mine closed.

Some of you may be interested in seeing photos of the mining operations so I plan to share photos over the next few days. Today you will see 23 images taken in the open pit mine. As you can see, mining rock out of the ground causes a great deal of destruction and upset in the environment, however, if minerals are to be taken from the earth, an altered environment is the result.


Much of the gypsum from this mine was shipped out of the province in large ships, however some was shipped to a wallboard factory in Corner Brook where the rock was further processed to be made into gyproc.

Feel free to share with family and friends.

You can view more of my photos on my web site and Facebook Pages:

No comments:

People

People It's been a while since I shared photos of people going about their daily activities, but I'll add more photos to my People 4...