Thursday, June 12, 2014

Flowers










Flowers

The bleeding hearts, hostas and phlox are growing well despite the cool temperatures along with rain, drizzle and fog that we've been having this week.  It is nice to see all the colour around the yard after all winter.

I really like the bleeding heart flowers and actually tried planting a couple before this one actually grew.  I am not sure what happened to them, but I assume I planted it in the wrong type of soil or in the wrong location.

The hostas were given to me by a student when I was teaching at Mary Queen of Peace School in St. John's.  He (his parents) gave me a plant each year and I planted them in my yard.  When I moved into my new house, weeds took over the flower garden so I rescued them.  Since then they have grown really well.  They have grown so well, in fact, that  I have to spread them out a bit next year.

Last year I moved some soil around and decided to plant creeping phlox in the two small gardens.  I planted six and they seemed to flourish.  However, only 4 survived the harsh winter and they are doing really well.  I will have to replace the others with new plants as soon as it warms up a bit.


There is one positive thing about the 9°F (48°F) we had yesterday - there were no flies and I had a chance to do some weeding and add them to my ever-growing compost heaps.   :) 

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Posters

Posters I have been creating posters with my photos for a few years and am sharing them in my 4th Posters Album. When I see an interesting q...