Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Baie Verte














Baie Verte

In 1993, I co-produced a series of videos entitled, Mining in Newfoundland and Labrador and one of the mines highlighted in the video was Terranov Asbestos in Baie Verte.  Actually, this mine was reopened to reclaim the asbestos out of the old tailings pile near the new operation.

One of the questions we asked the mine manager was how dangerous it was for people working in the plant and his answer was that it wasn't because the asbestos it was always wet and there were few particles in the air.  As you can see from the photos, only one person I photographed wore a face mask.  The mine was sold shortly after we made the video and closed for good in 1995.


I have never shared these photos because the final product was in video format.  If you know someone in Baie Verte, feel free to share these and the others uploaded to my Blog today.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...