Monday, July 25, 2011

Rome 6










Rome 6

Today's photos were taken from the time we lined up to get into St. Peter's Basilica, which was a 45 minute wait in the shade for us (we had a special line) whereas the crowds in the main line probably had to wait twice as long in the hot sun.

The second photo shows the large columns that separated Vatican City from Italy. I may have mentioned previously that Vatican City is an independent city state (since 1929).

The third photo shows a famous statue, Pietá (Mother Mary mourning her son) by Michelangelo, which I photographed in St. Peter's Basilica. I haven't shared photos taken inside the many churches that I photographed on my trip to Europe because I wanted to do a Church series later. However, I thought that I would share this photo for a particular reason. First of all, Michaelangelo's work is phenomenal and I was glad to view it even though I didn't know what it was when I made the photo. I found out later as I researched the statues on line.

The problems with the tour of St. Peter's Basilica was that it was very rushed and very crowded. Every time I tried to make a photo in the dark church, someone walked into the scene or collded with me. It was so difficult to get a decent photo that I finally gave up. Later, I will share a few of the ones I did take inside this huge church.

The third photo this morning shows another statue just outside the doors of the church. The large (5.5 m) statue that shows St. Peter holding the keys to the kingdom was commissioned in 1847 and was a replacement of a much older statue.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...