Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Barcelona 11 - Sagrada Familia















Barcelona 11 - Sagrada Familia

Sorry about the late Photo of the Day. I woke up this morning to a dead monitor that had to be replaced. Another $200 after going to St. John's to look for a replacement. I am now back in business and ready to go!

Antonio Gaudi became obsessed with the large Roman Catholic church commonly known as Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain. He took over the project in 1882 and when he died in 1926 it was less than one quarter finished. It is still under construction today and it is hoped that it will be finished on the 100th anniversary of Gaudi's death in 2026. I included the first image to give you an idea of the crowds that were there when I visited on June 10, 2011. My wife and I really wanted to view the inside but, after walking to the end of the line realized that we would be lined up for more than an hour in the hot sun and opted to get out of the line and go to the next stop on the Hop-on, Hop-off bus.

I did take photos of many sculptures on the outside of this unique building. I thought the sculptures looked a little odd from ground level and when I zoomed in closer I could see the figures had unusual shapes and expressions. I am sharing two here, but will upload 13 more to my Blog this morning. In the second photo you can see the helmet on a soldier behind the figure of Christ that reminded me of the shapes on the ventilation towers on the roof of La Predera that I shared a few days ago.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...