Friday, July 15, 2011

PISA 2












PISA 2

This morning I have chosen to share a few closer views of the artwork on the buildings in the Piazza del Duomo, also known as Piazza dei Miracoli (Square of Miracles). These include the Tower, Duomo, Bapistry and Camposanto Monumentale. I only had 45 minutes of free time in Pisa and that was not enough to capture much of the art that adorned the various buildings. I wanted to go inside them as well, but again, there was only enough time to walk around the square and make a few photos of the outsides of each building. I did manage to get a few close ups using the 36x optical zoom on the Nikon P500 camera I purchased especially for the trip and I am sharing some of them with you today both here and on my Blog.

As I viewed the intricate artwork on the beautiful buildings that were built over 1000 years ago I was amazed. The work of so many talented artisans has transcended the ages and are there to be admired today. I am humbled by the talent of the architects and artists who could make such lasting creations from pieces of rock, coloured glass and paint to create art that told stories to educate the population most of whom couldn't read or write at the time. Of course, most of the artwork is religious in nature and has a predominantly Christian theme.

Photography lets me share what was created in the past with you but seeing the subject, choosing what to photograph and making the image is hardly comparable to the work of the sculptors and artists who created such wonderful and lasting pieces of art.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.



No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...