Thursday, September 02, 2010

Asters






I have been photographing asters since I moved to Holyrood in 1982. They are growing all around my property and I really like them. There are several types of asters growing in Newfoundland and Labrador, but I am not positive which variety, or varieties, grow here. These may be showy asters and I have heard them called common asters as well.

These blooms were on plants that were 4-5 feet in height with many blue flowers. The first two photos were taken as a large cloud covered the sun, but the last three were taken in direct sunlight. You can observe the difference in the colours of the flowers in different lighting conditions.

I started this series of photos stating that a plant is only considered a weed if you don't want it to grow in a particular place. Like the other plants I shared images of over the past few days, I remove these plants from my vegetable gardens. The purpose of the series was to show you that some of the weeds around here have beautiful flowers.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...