Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Remembrance Day, Holyrood





The Remembrance Day Ceremony in Holyrood was one of the largest in recent years despite the heavy rain. The Engineers Squadron from St. John's was in attendance along with members of the Royal Canadian Legion, RCMP, Southern Cross Sea Cadets, Knights of Columbus, Star of the Sea Association, Holyrood Town Council, Girl Guides and several other groups. Many residents of Holyrood and surrounding communities were also in attendance.

Despite the rain I took over 200 photos of "Those Who Remember" and am sharing photographs of the flag bearers today. I chose to shoot close-up images because I find they evoke more emotion. I also liked the bands of colours produced by the flags.

Yesterday I received several emails from the USA complimenting me on the Veteran's web sites. I was wondering if they have Remembrance Day ceremonies in communities across the USA? Is it called Veteran's Day? I also learned yesterday that Remembrance Day is NOT a National Holiday in Canada. If you live in other provinces can you let me know if you get a holiday for Remembrance Day and if your community has a celebration. Here in Newfoundland and Labrador it has been a provincial holiday with businesses, retail stores, government buildings and schools closed for the day.



No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...