Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Raspberries



Today I have a question to which one or more of you may know the answer. Are there more than one variety (or species) of raspberry growing in Newfoundland?

The two photos were taken on Sunday during a walk along the trails behind my house. On tall raspberry plants, the berries are just starting to form, but on plants that are just a few inches high, there are red berries. Are these the same or different varieties? I checked through some of my identification books but couldn't find an answer.

In any event, we are getting near midsummer and most fruit-bearing plants are producing fruit. In a week or so, the bakeapples (cloudberries) will be ripe and I'll probably spend a few days walking to the bogs and picking berries. :)


No comments:

Lupines

Lupines I will share photos of Lupines to my most recent Lupines Facebook Album over the next few days. I really like lupines and, when I mo...