Saturday, November 23, 2013

Tilt Cove




















Tilt Cove

In 1993, while working on a series of videos on Mining in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited Tilt Cove, the site of a mine that was abandoned in 1967.  Previous to that, it operated as a mining community from 1864 to 1920.  then from 1957 to 1967. The population peaked in 1916 with 1500 people.  In 2011 the population had dropped to 5 or 6 individuals.

I was astounded at the amount of equipment and the number of buildings that had been abandoned when mining operations ceased.  Rusting pieces of equipment were visible ell around the community and you can view some of them in several of the photos uploaded to my Blog today.


These days governments and mining companies are more aware of the importance of cleaning up sites to minimize the impact on the environment.  I am not sure if Tilt Cove has been cleaned up since my visit, but I suspect that it hasn't.

Feel free to share today's photos with family and friends.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

George Street United Church

George Street United Church In 2006, while working on a project about religion in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited the 150-year-old chur...