Friday, November 29, 2013

Le Castellet




















Le Castellet

Today is the first in my new Le Castellet Series. 

The first stop on our cruise was Toulon in Provence which is located in the south of France. I took a shore excursion to the hilltop medieval village of Le Castellet about 30 minutes drive through the scenic countryside.  Originally a feudal village, today it is a tourist destination and most streets are lined with small shops, art galleries and restaurants. 

Apparently the buildings have been restored but not changed, so walking the streets is like walking back through time.  Of course, it is not at all like it would have been 800 - 1000 years ago.  It is a beautiful little town to photograph however:  the narrow streets, interesting arches,  ivy-covered buildings, colourful doors and windows are all great photographic subjects.


The advantage of visiting this community in late October is that there are few tourists in the area.  Many shops and galleries were closed, but that didn't bother me because I was more interested in making images of the community than shopping.  I was able to make photos without crowds of people in the way.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...