Sunday, May 30, 2010

Viking Trail






The towns along the Viking Trail, which runs from Deer Lake to Southern Labrador, have been hit hard by the closure of the Northern Cod Fishery. There has been a steady out migration of people since the early 1990's, which has been very hard on the social and economic fabric of the area.

Today I chose images of buildings I photographed during my drive up the Viking Trail in 2004. The first two were taken in the town of L'Ance aux Meadows. I liked the freshly painted yellow boat in front of the red fishing stage. The large moose antlers on the building, a common sight along the Viking Trail, as well as the weather vane on the roof also added interest to the scene.

I usually photograph buildings that are in a state of disrepair everywhere I go because they will not be around for too long. The building in the third photo was leaning to one side and was boarded up. All the yellow hawkweed growing all around it added interest to the image. The cow parsnip growing in front of the door of the next building and the red siding falling off the third indicates that they haven't been used in a while.


No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...