Saturday, May 29, 2010

Old Perlican






The Town of Old Perlican, one of the oldest settlements on the island of Newfoundland, is located on the Baccalieu Trail in Trinity Bay. When I last visited in August, 2003 the harbour was busy with fishing boats coming and going. I believe the fish plant was still operating then as well.

The fishing stages in the first image shows a large number of lobster pots stored on the stage head so I assume the lobster fishery was still quite active at the time. I included the fourth photo to show the lack of trees where the land is close to the shores of the North Atlantic Ocean. Though it was starting to clear up when I was there, I imagine the waters in the harbour are not always as calm as the day I visited. The last photo shows part of the town and the houses lining the shores of the wide harbour.


No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...