Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Seagulls

Last year when I was in Florida, I noticed a large flock of birds heading towards me as I walked the back roads taking photographs. I watched the birds with interest and when they got right above me they began to fly in a circlular formation. They seemed to go higher and higher with each rotation.

The two photos this morning show a couple of views of them circling directly overhead. They were really high (the photos were taken on maximum zoom with my 70-300 mm zoom lens). They seemed to be feeding on something - I assummed it was probably some type of insects.

Every year in Holyrood, Newfoundland and Labrador, I see seagulls feeding on insects high above my home. I have seen them actually picking "something" out of the air. It always happens when "flying ants", which are future queens of Carpenter Ant colonies, are on the move.

I am not sure what the seagulls in today's photos were eating, but it was probably some type of insects.

If you are interested in Birds of Florida, feel free to chek out http://www.lanephotography.com/birds/birds_of_florida_01.htm






No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...