Sunday, April 19, 2015

Insects













Insects

Last week I shared images of dragonflies and, surprisingly, I received quite a lot of positive feedback. I do photograph insects when opportunities arise and I enjoy looking at the images later to really see how they differ from other life forms.

Normally I photograph insects, especially those that can sting or bite, with a telephoto lens so I don't have to get too close. When I am observing insects, I begin to see how they go about their business and learn a little about their behaviour. To be honest, most tend to ignore me and, if I am fast, I can make an image or two before they move on.

The first is a hover fly, which is common around this part of the world.  I am not sure what type of fly was enjoying a purple flower. The next three photos show a yellow-jacket and my advice is to stay away from these, especially if there are a few around. I shot this photo with my 100-300 mm lens and was around 6 feet away.

I spotted a large grasshopper that looked like it was going to cross the road.  Just as I was about to take the photo, a car came into view.  It looks like the insect is watching traffic.



I think the last image shows a type of beetle, but I am not certain. Notice that its body is yellow from the pollen in the flowers. 

Feel free to share today's photos with family and friends.

 

No comments:

George Street United Church

George Street United Church In 2006, while working on a project about religion in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited the 150-year-old chur...