Thursday, April 10, 2008

Red Squirrels

Three red squirrels have been feeding off bird seed and compost in my backyard all winter. One of them seems to have made a connection between us and food because it doesn't run away when the door opens or one of us arrives home in the evening. Last weekend when I arrived home from a 2 hour snowshoe hike, I photographed one of the squirrels in a tree near our house.

The first photo was cropped from the original image because I wanted you to see the details in it's face: white ring around its eyes, whiskers, nose and colour of its fur. The second photo is a little wider shot and you can see the whole animal.

I am a little worried about the squirrels because our cats are anxious to get out now that the weather is finally starting to warm up (going up to 12°C (54°F) and the snow is melting fast. The cats will keep them away from the house which is a good thing because I don't want them getting inside.





1 comment:

bearkat said...

bruce....awww...that gave me the warm fuzzies thinking about my "adopted" grandma who passed away 10 years ago.....she had a little ledge outside her kitchen window....and would often feed the squirrels bread with peanut butter on it....was so much fun watching them :) :).....you wouldn't have thought we had spring today here though...we got a big dump of the heavy wet snow!!!!......have a good evening!!!

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...