Monday, October 17, 2016

My Yard 2










My Yard 2

I thought I would share a photo of my compost this morning.  As you can see, I have 2 recycling bins as well as a huge pile of material that I turn once or twice a week.  I have a third bin closer to my house that I use for household waste.  In the spring, once the pile has thawed out, I will sift the material and distribute around the vegetable and flower gardens.  The stuff that can’t fit through the sifter, will be the start of next year’s pile.  This year I got 76 wheelbarrows of sifted compost., much more than I needed, so I added 20 wheelbarrows to a pile of sifted soil that I had left over.  I now have 50-60 wheelbarrows of soil that I can use next year.


I am also attaching photos of wildflowers that are still blooming here. I photographed dandelion, pearly everlasting, evening primrose, and St. John’s wort.  It is unusual to see these plants blooming so late.  I guess our warm weather (for this time of the year) is causing some of these plants to grow.  The lilac leaves are still as green as they were in mid-summer.

Comments are welcome!

Feel free to share with family and friends.


Photos of the Day are for sale as:

You can view more of my photos on my web site and Facebook Pages:


No comments:

Bald Eagles

Bald Eagles I spent a rainy day yesterday organizing my Facebook Albums that featured photographs of different bird species. Now, I can find...