Monday, June 16, 2008

Waterfall

My apologies for not sending my Photo of the Day yesterday. I went to Grand Falls as a surprise for Father's Day and Dad was quite surprised. I was too tired to spend time on the computer when I got home so I had an early night.

This evening as I raked and moved rocks, I decided to take a break and photograph the little waterfalls just behind my house. I am sharing 6 out of the 36 images I took.



This image was taken using a tripod and an ISO of 100. Since it was around 8:00 PM on a very overcast evening, I knew the camera would choose a slow shutter speed. By using a tripod, I avoided camera shake so the trees remain in focus but the running water doesn't. The image was made with a shutter speed of 1/10th sec. The rich colours of the new green growth adds to the image.


I zoomed in to get this photo. I focused on the moving water to make certain it was not too bright. I also tried metering off the dark rocks, but the water was too bright.


Rotating the camera 90° gives a different view.



When I zoomed back I thought the mist in the background also added a different "feel" to the photo. If you look closely, you will see the edge of my deck. You can imagine how peaceful it sounds.


By cropping out the sky (in camera) by zooming in and changing positions a little, you will get a better sense of what the brook looks like.

I turned around 180° and took this photo looking down at the next waterfall. I'll get photos of this another time. It was raining and I didn't want to get my camera equipment wet. :)



1 comment:

bearkat said...

bruce..that surely does seem like it would be really peaceful..and so pretty!!!!:)

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...