Saturday, April 16, 2011

Winterton



Winterton

My mother was from Winterton, Trinity Bay and I spent lots of time there as a young boy. I still visit the scenic community to visit relatives, several of whom are on my Photo of the Day list. As I continue my scanning, I will probably come across other images of the town that were taken in the 80s and 90s.

I chose three photos this morning taken from approximately the same position over a 31 year period. It is interesting to look at how much this part of town changed over the years. The first was taken in 1971, the second in 2002 and the third in 2003. As you would expect, there isn't a lot of difference in the last two, but when you compare those with the image taken in 1971 you will see a lot of changes.

  • the fishing stages in the foreground are gone
  • a slipway has been built where the stages were
  • the long white building has changed
  • there are several buildings blocking the view of the churches in the first photo that are gone,
  • the roof and steeple of the church on the left has changed
  • fences are gone
  • there are more trees on the hills in the background
There are a few changes between the last two, taken only a year apart. A shed has been painted and new windows installed and a small shed has a different paint job.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.


No comments:

Lupines

Lupines I will share photos of Lupines to my most recent Lupines Facebook Album over the next few days. I really like lupines and, when I mo...