Saturday, April 09, 2011

W - Witless Bay (1981)







W - Witless Bay (1981)

In 1981 I visited the Witless Bay area several times to make photos of this scenic town. At that time I was working on my Master's degree and deeply immersed in video and slide show production. I started exploring communities near St. John's looking for subjects to photograph for my various courses.

I was focusing on the iceberg in the background of the first image when a flock of seagulls took flight just as I took the picture. At first I was disappointed because the birds seemed to block the view of the iceberg. When I got the slides back weeks later, I didn't like the photo much. Thirty years later, after it was scanned, I changed my mind and now like the photo even though the view of the iceberg is blocked by the birds.

I liked the buildings in the second photo and stopped on the road to make this image. I don't remember why I didn't walk in closer and eliminate the wire fence and fencepost. Possibly I had to make the image in a hurry because a vehicle was coming and I couldn't stay parked on the narrow street. That often happens in small communities and even though I say I can go back to make the photo, it doesn't happen often.

I had forgotten about the fishing stage in the third image. I don't think it has been there for many years. The island in the background is part of the Witless Bay Bird Sanctuary and back then I don't think anyone offered tours. Today there are several companies that will take you to the island to observe and photograph the puffins, common murres, razorbacks and other birds that inhabit the islands in the area.

I photographed the small fishing boats tied up near the fish plant and moored offshore. Since the demise of the northern cod fishery, there just aren't as many fishing boats tied up in this harbour. I've photographed the house in the sixth image often over the years and was pleased to see that it has been restored and people are once again living in it. The rock structure in the last photo intrigued me. I am still not sure what it was for, but the last time I drove by that area, it was gone.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.


No comments:

Bald Eagles

Bald Eagles I spent a rainy day yesterday organizing my Facebook Albums that featured photographs of different bird species. Now, I can find...