Friday, November 26, 2010

People near the Sea 3





Today's photos were taken at Cape St. Mary's Seabird sanctuary which is located on the southwest tip of the Avalon Peninsula. If you have never visited this world-class destination, put it on your Things To Do list because you won't be disappointed. Just check the weather before you go there because it can be quite foggy. Once, I made the 2 hour drive from my home only to find that it was so foggy I could hardly see the northern gannets flying all around me.

After a 10 minute walk from the parking lot to Bird Rock, you will be able to photograph northern gannets from the edge of a cliff that overlooks the their nesting sites. (See the third photo.) The day I made these photos, a large group of people (probably a bus tour) showed up just as I was leaving. Instead of following the trail back to the parking lot, I made my way across the cliffs in the opposite direction to capture the people on the cliff overlooking Bird Rock.

As you can see from today's photos, the scenery around Cape St. Mary's is absolutely breathtaking and the proximity to the northern gannet nesting site is a photographer's dream. I have been there several times and never tire of photographing the steep cliffs, northern gannets, common murres, kittiwakes, sheep, wildflowers and the lighthouse. During one visit I watched whales feeding just offshore as the gannets dove bullet-like into the sea around them. It was a beautiful sight that I will never forget; unfortunately it was a little too far away to photograph.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Tulips

Tulips Tulips are a sign of spring, but my tulip gardens are under a foot or two of snow. It will be a while before we see the beauty of the...