Wednesday, November 24, 2010

People near the Sea 1






The harbour in Chapel's Cove, Conception Bay was very calm the day I was there and capelin were spawning on the beach. A fishermen using a small seine net was trying his skill at throwing it in the middle of a small school of capelin. He was successful and caught quite a few. Traditionally, when a person with such a net is on the beach, he shares his catch with anyone who wants some of these small fish.

When I was a kid, I swam in the ocean every summer and don't remember it being "freezing". One day a few years ago I ran into the ocean and dived under, but was out as quickly as I went in. I didn't stay in the water long enough to adjust to the cold. The temperature of the ocean around here in late summer is around 10°C (50°F), a bit too cool for me at my age.

Imagine getting doused with icy water on a hot summer day. That's what's happening as the young people in the third photo as a wave breaks on the rocks behind them. The photographer in the last image is taking a chance on ruining her camera with salt water. I walked by the same spot but had my camera safely stored in my camera bag.

All Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Tulips

Tulips Tulips are a sign of spring, but my tulip gardens are under a foot or two of snow. It will be a while before we see the beauty of the...