Saturday, November 06, 2010

200 - 9






Tomorrow will be the last in this series of photos on the theme 200.

The first photo this morning is the one I chose to submit to the contest. I received many good comments on this photo which placed 5th or 6th. I liked the contrast between the red berries and white snow and there were more than 200 berries in the image. Imagine the number of berries and seeds produced by trees every year.

When I saw the warning about a broken roof on the side of a shed in Harbour Main, I stopped to make a photograph. I didn't bother to count the individual pieces of siding but estimate that there are more than 200.

The first subject I thought of for this theme was northern gannets in Cape St. Mary's on the southern tip of the Avalon Peninsula. I decided against submitting this image because I felt the shot was too wide. I looked for closer views but those images showed too few birds.

The winter scene of the trees on one of the trails I hike was taken in 1983. This area was clearcut in the 2001, which really bothered me. After only 9 years the forest has grown back, thicker than ever. The conifers are 6 - 10 feet now and grow quite a bit each year.

There are more than 200 frost crystals on grasses peeking out of the ice in the last photo. When the image was reduced, it was hard to tell what the subject was.

You can find more of these type images on my web site, which has been updated recently.


No comments:

Tulips

Tulips Tulips are a sign of spring, but my tulip gardens are under a foot or two of snow. It will be a while before we see the beauty of the...