Saturday, July 02, 2011

Barcelona 7 - La Pedrera












Barcelona 7 - La Pedrera

It is needless to say that I found the abstract shapes of the ventilation towers fascinating. I think I took photos of every one and though they were similar, it seemed that no two were identical. I hadn't read much about this architect and his imaginative works until after I returned to Canada. While standing on the rooftop of La Pedrera, I wondered what this person was really like and why he liked such curved features and interesting designs. If you are interested, there is a lengthy article about him in Wikipedia as well as many other web sites devoted to this unique individual. It is no wonder that he was considered either a madman or a genius back in the late 1800s and early 1900s. However his works have withstood the test of time and many were declared UNESCO World Heritage sites in 1984.

As I stated in my first Photo of the Day that showed photos from Barcelona, I approached the trip to Europe as a photographic assignment in which I tried to capture, and share, my impressions of the places I visited. So far I have described the Spanish Village and La Pedrera and the challenges of photographing each. Tomorrow I plan to share photos of Parc Guell, another of Gauidi's works and another photographic challenge. From the responses I've received thus far, I think most of you are finding the images interesting.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...