Monday, January 03, 2011

White Peacock Butterfly





This was the first year that I saw lots of butterflies while walking around Citrus Park. My lens of choice when photographing butterflies is the 70-300 mm which allows me to zoom in fairly close without disturbing them. All photos this morning were cropped from originals and show the white peacock butterfly - Anartia jatrophae - found in the southern USA, Central and South America.

Butterflies are beautiful, colourful creatures that we tend to take for granted. They are somewhat difficult to photograph because they fly erratically and do not stay still very long when they land on a flower. They often fold their wings showing the undersides, which are usually not as colourful. However, like photographing most wildlife, patience is the key. I usually follow a butterfly until it lands on a flower, shoot when its wings are fully open, then follow it to the next flower and photograph it again. Of course, lots of flowers make it easier because they land more often.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...