Sunday, January 23, 2011

Upper Island Cove - 1982





This morning I chose to share photos of Upper Island Cove, Conception Bay that were taken in 1982 during my first visit to that community.

I liked the boats moored in the calm water just off shore. You may wonder why I composed the photo with boat so close to the edge of the image. I could have moved the camera to the right a little, but I didn't like the wharf in the scene. In fact, in order to have the entire boat in the image, I still had to include part of the wharf. It is an odd composition, but there is something about it that I still like.

I saw a young man leaning on the fence on a nearby cliff. I was shooting into the sun so I knew the lighting would be tricky and the resulting photo would be pretty dark. I was right, but I still liked the composition when I got my slides back 2-3 week later. Now wehn I look at the photo, I wonder why the person decided to walk to the edge of the cliff and look out? I can think of lots of reasons, but none of them may be right.

I drove past a fairly large vegetable garden on the top of a steep cliff overlooking the area I had just come from. It looks like the farmer would have had a decent harvest in 1982. When I was a kid in the 50s and 60s, nearly everyone, especially in rural communities, had vegetable gardens. My grandparents in both Grand Falls and Winterton, had small plots of ground in which they grew potatoes, beets, carrots and/or cabbage. I still see vegetable plots quite often all around Newfoundland and Labrador.

I have more recent photos of Upper Island Cove on line at: http://www.lanephotography.com/cbn/upper_island_cove/upper_island_cove.htm

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...