Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lobster Fishermen






Just after I finished photographing the seagulls in Brigus, a small boat with three lobster fishermen appeared and started hauling lobster pots from Conception Bay. As you know, I make candid photos of people going about their daily activities and have photographed fishermen at work many times. In this series, I tried to capture images of the men as they pulled lobster pots from the water. Of course, I shot more than one photo of them as they worked just in front of me.

Many "small-boat fishermen" participate in inshore fisheries such as lobster, capelin and squid. In the past they also caught cod, but that species has been decimated by over fishing and there hasn't been a regular cod fishery for nearly 20 years. As a result, I don't see (or photograph) cod fishermen working close to shore.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...