Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fortune Harbour






Fortune Harbour is small community located in Notre Dame Bay. I have been there several times, the most recent being last summer. The photos I selected this morning show a little of the town. You will notice that, unlike many other areas of the province, this community has lots of trees around. This may be due to the fact that the community is built around a long narrow harbour that is well protected from the strong winds blowing off the North Atlantic.

Since the northern cod fishery closed in 1992, I suspect that the number of fishing stages and boats have decreased. In addition, the number of people who work in small communities have probably dropped as well since they have to look for work in larger communities in Newfoundland and Labrador or elsewhere in Canada. As a result, for quite a few years real estate was very inexpensive and many people from outside Newfoundland and Labrador purchased houses to spend their summers in ocean properties around the island. Of course, the value of real estate has been going up even in the small communities around the province.

No comments:

Posters

Posters I have been creating posters with my photos for a few years and am sharing them in my 4th Posters Album. When I see an interesting q...