Sunday, January 17, 2010

L - Lady's Slipper






The alphabet theme make it easier to choose photographic subjects each day, especially this time of the year when I am not making many new photographs. Today, I chose the Lady's Slipper, a member of the orchid family which grows wild here on the Avalon Peninsula. I have photographed this plant four times in different areas and the habitat was different each time: top of a hill, in a bog, in a town and under shrubs. I know this plant likes acidic soil, which describes most of the soil around here.

One day, a few years ago, I left home with the specific goal of photographing my first lady's slipper. After following an unfamiliar trail for a while I was just about to give up when I saw one growing under a shrub right where I has stopped for a break. Moments later, I saw another growing in the open nearby. I was glad I found them and have come across a couple of others over the years. I can't say they are a common plant around here because I hike a lot and would expect to see a lot more if they were really common.

When photographing flowers I try to take a wide shot to show the plant in its habitat, then medium and close-up images from different angles to show the detail in the flower.

No comments:

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel In May 2016, my wife and I had a pleasurable stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel in Banff, Alberta. Of cou...