Friday, January 15, 2010

J - Johnson Geocentre






Believe it or not, J is one of the hardest letters to find a photographic theme among my photographs, but I visited the Johnson Geo Centre in St. John's in 2006 and am sharing a few photos from that trip. I am including a short description for your reference:

"The Johnson GEO CENTRE's main exhibits start off in a state-of-the-art theatre that takes you back through the story of Earth, unleashing the power of volcanoes, earthquakes, and torrential rainstorms with startling realism. The rest of the exhibits area is divided into four sections — Our Planet, Our Province, Our People, and Our Future."

The first photo shows a large model of Saturn, part of the solar system exhibit found on the ceiling as you enter the main part of the centre. The second shows light reflecting off the island of Newfoundland on a large globe, and the third shows light reflecting off a large piece of Labradorite. The fourth is a view of a section of metamorphic rock that has undergone tremendous heat and pressure and the last shows a small theatre where you can view short videos. As I explored the photos I took that day, I found several abstract images that I plan to share at a later date.

The link below will take you to a short slide show created and narrated by a National Geographic Editor who shares his favourite photos of 2009 and explains why. I found his comments very interesting and thought you may enjoy it. Feel free to check it out: http://traveler.nationalgeographic.com/2009/11/editors-picks-photography

No comments:

Lupines

Lupines I will share photos of Lupines to my most recent Lupines Facebook Album over the next few days. I really like lupines and, when I mo...