Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Snake






While driving along a side road in the Florida Everglades back in March 2005, the driver pointed to something on the road ahead. As we approached, we realized it was a snake that had stopped by the side of the gravel road. I took a few photos of the entire snake, then zoomed in to get a few closer views.

It turned around and slithered into the brush, then stopped to have a final look at me. I slowly moved closer and continued to photograph the reptile from around 5 or six feet with my zoom lens.

Other people approached and told me to be careful because the snake was one of the most poisonous in Florida. A lady had a snake identification book and said it was a cottonmouth or water moccasin. I backed off immediately when she said they could attack if provoked. :)

When I go on a hike here in Newfoundland and Labrador, there is little possibility of meeting animals that could kill me. I've met foxes, moose, caribou and bears in the woods here but have never been threatened. On that day in Florida I photographed this snake and numerous alligators of all sizes, each of which is capable of killing a human being. Needless to say, I don't "bushwhack" through the woods in Florida. :)





1 comment:

bearkat said...

Bruce, you are right about snakes!! LOL, slimy creatures, especially if they are of the two legged variety!!!
I still enjoy your picture blogs just the same!!!
Have a good evening!

Tulips

Tulips Tulips are a sign of spring, but my tulip gardens are under a foot or two of snow. It will be a while before we see the beauty of the...