Saturday, March 07, 2009

Forest in Winter






As I walked through the forest looking for photos, I was attracted to the interesting lighting on the forest floor as the sun filtered through the trees.

There was a complete lack of colour in the first photo and the only thing visible other than snow is the top of a small tree. I thought the dark and light areas would make an interesting image. I liked the how the light emphasized the curved shape of a tree in the second photo. To capture the third mage I zoomed in on the tip of a branch of a balsam fir tree. You will notice how the sunlight was reflecting off the snow but the background is in the shade.
The lighting on the birch tree was very bright and the background was nearly black in the fourth photo. The plants in the last photo created an interesting design as they stuck out of the snow.

2 comments:

bearkat said...

I was enjoying these pictures today....reminded me of when I was living in Jasper, and the various outings to Bragg Creek and Kananaskis Country!! There is a lot of snow on the mountains!!!
Have a great weekend:)

K. Bruce Lane - Photo of the Day said...

Thanks,

I enjoy every winter walk through the woods around my home in Holyrood. There is always something new to see. I've been to Kananaskis Country, but didn't get a chance to take a lot of photos. I remember the beautiful mountains ....

Tulips

Tulips Tulips are a sign of spring, but my tulip gardens are under a foot or two of snow. It will be a while before we see the beauty of the...