Sunday, March 29, 2009

Dover






Dover is a picturesque community located in Bonavista Bay. The photos I am sharing today were taken from the top of a lookout that provides an opportunity to view the community and ocean. The first two photos show wide views from two different directions.

The third shows a piece of wreckage from a plane crash that occurred there on January 2, 1942. An RCAF B-18 bomber had taken off from Gander and experienced engine problems, dropped their bombs in the ocean and crashed near the shore. The 6 crew members survived the crash but were freezing from the icy water when rescuers arrived from the town. I got this information from an informational sign at the site.

I have probably mentioned this before, but I'll reiterate it again today. When I am photographing an area, I photograph all informational signs so I will be able to read them again later. Sometimes I am in a hurry and do not have time to read all signs, so the photos give me an opportunity to review the information when I need it.

The fourth photo shows a large glacial boulder (also called an erratic) that was near the trail to the lookout. The fifth photo shows my brother walking the excellent walking trail.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice pics of my home! thank you

Anonymous said...

home sick newfie from dover! thanks for the pics

Tulips

Tulips Tulips are a sign of spring, but my tulip gardens are under a foot or two of snow. It will be a while before we see the beauty of the...