Tuesday, June 12, 2012

White-Winged Crossbill or Pine Grosbeak?







White-Winged Crossbill or Pine Grosbeak?

It has been a while since I shared photos that I've been taking lately. For the next few days I plan to share images that I've been taking around the yard as well as photos from a recent photo trip as far as Gull Island along the Baccalieu Trail.

In early June I was sifting soil when two birds landed quite close to me. It was the first time I've seen this specie of bird and when I tried to identify it, it was difficult. At first I thought it was a white-winged crossbill, but it also looked much like a pine grosbeak. If anyone can identify it for certain, please let me know.

A male and female were together and they were eating dandelion seeds. They were fairly approachable and hung around here for a week. I haven't seen them for a few days, but we have a cat and our closest neighbours have 2 cats so I hope they moved on.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...