Monday, June 11, 2012

Narwhal 3












Narwhal 3

This is the last in my Narwhal Series. Today's photos were taken the last time I saw the narwhal. When it surfaced, I noticed several deep cuts on it's back. Not too long afterwards, another boat approached asking if we had seen the narwhal. A vet had heard it was hit by a propeller and came out with antibiotics for it. I told him I had photos and he came aboard to see them. After seeing the images he didn't think the cuts were too serious. Soon, the narwhal returned and, after seeing the cuts, he was convinced that they were superficial and didn't pose a threat to the whale.

Rick Stanley, owner of Ocean Quest Adventures in Long Pond, also arrived and got in the water with his video camera. Within seconds, the narwhal approached him. You can see how close the whale's tusk is to him. He told me he got some good footage that day.

Not long after I made these images, the whale disappeared from Spaniard's Bay. There were no other sightings of it in this area. A scientist who was interviewed on a radio show speculated that it had headed back north. Hopefully this interesting animal made it!!

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...