Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Ephesus, Turkey 5




















Ephesus, Turkey 5

Thanks to one of my friends on Facebook, the magnificent two story building in most of today's photos has been identified as the Library of Celsus. Although I saw photos of this structure before leaving on the cruise to Turkey and was looking forward to seeing it, I was not prepared for its size and beauty.

It was built by Celsus, a Roman Consul of Greek origin. Apparently he built it from his own personal wealth to store 12,000 scrolls. It also served as his tomb and his body was buried in a sarcophagus under the main floor. You can read more about the Library of Celsus at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Celsus.

Other photos this morning show the communal toilets where the men went to chat about politics and other topics of interest while relieving themselves. I assume their society was not as concerned about bathroom privacy as we are today. I found it interesting that they had water running under the toilets so everything was continuously being washed away.

Newfoundland and Labrador
Link of the Day




Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Lupines

Lupines I will share photos of Lupines to my most recent Lupines Facebook Album over the next few days. I really like lupines and, when I mo...