Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Venice 8














Venice 8

The first photo this morning shows a boat similar to the one I was on - a shuttle boat that took people from the cruise ship to a drop off point near Piazza San Marco. There were many boats like this on the canals of Venice.

The second photo shows two islands with a canal between them. You can see a bridge over the canal. Venice stretches across a series of 117 islands in northern Italy and is known as the City of Bridges, City of Water, City of Masks, City of Canals, and The Floating City. It has also been described as the most romantic city in the world.

The third photo shows artwork on one of the columns of the Doge's Palace. All around Venice one can see sculptures and paintings of lions, probably because the Lion is the traditional symbol of St. Mark, whose remains were brought to Venice after being stolen from a tomb in Alexandria, Egypt and are said to be inside St. Mark's Basilica. Each column has different sculptures and I have uploaded several to my Blog today.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.



No comments:

Posters

Posters I have been creating posters with my photos for a few years and am sharing them in my 4th Posters Album. When I see an interesting q...