Thursday, August 04, 2011

Venice 3















Venice 3

When we arrived at Piazza San Marco it was so busy that it was next to impossible to make a photograph without someone walking into the scene. My wife and I stared following narrow roads until we got away from the crowds. Since there are so many canals and many bridges crossing them, I was able to photograph gondoliers manoeuvring their gondolas through the streets of water. I also saw many extremely narrow streets that were no more than three feet (1 m) which, I concluded after walking a few, were back entrances to houses and buildings.

The main streets with shops were very busy, but once out of the shopping areas, there were fewer people and less tour groups. In fact many streets had no people at all. I must be hard to please because I liked the street scenes with one or two people better than those with empty streets. I also liked locals rather than tourists and you will see a few more over the next couple of days.

Venice is one of the top 25 most photographed cities in the world and it is easy to understand why. Since there are so many images made of this beautiful city, it is hard to create photographs that are different. I didn't really think of that as I wandered around looking for photographs but just wanted to capture some of the interesting things I saw. I tried different angles of some buildings and looked for subjects that I normally shoot wherever I go - windows, doors, hands, architecture, people, musicians, plants, boats, houses, art, clotheslines and anything else that attracts my attention. When I looked through my photos after returning home, I was happy with the results even though I missed many of the "typical" photos of Venice.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...