Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ravenna 1








Ravenna 1

I had never heard of Ravenna until going on a Mediterranean Cruise. Though there is no agreement on where the name of the city came from, it dates back before the Roman Empire. It has a rich history and boasts that their mosaics are among the oldest and best preserved in the world. During our tour, we visited two churches which had beautiful mosaics dating back to the 600s. I will share those photos when I do the European Churches series later in the Fall.

The main mode of transportation in the old part of the city is bicycle. There are bicycle paths clearly marked on the streets, but there were so many tourists that I felt sorry for the locals who were trying to get around. Many walked in the middle of the roads and blocked the paths of bicyclers. The photos today show a few scenes that include bicycles and people riding them. I found it interesting to see so many bikes around. It is a good, efficient, and clean way to get around. in a city.


1 comment:

ejburke@nf.sympatico.ca said...

Hi Bruce

I have enjoyed the photos on your Blog....it is certainly a wonderful "tour" I have seen through your eyes...thank you.
Yvonne

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...