Thursday, March 31, 2011

N - Northern Gannets






N - Northern Gannets

I've shared photos of Northern Gannets before, but today's images are from scanned slides that were taken using a Canon AE-1 with a 500 mm lens that I owned at the time. I have visited Cape St. Mary's several times since moving to the Avalon Peninsula and have never been disappointed, even when there is a thick fog.

Gannets rub each other's beaks when they arrive back at the nest and the first image shows a close-up cropped from a larger view. I wish the bird in the background wasn't there, but when you are clinging to the edge of a steep cliff trying to make photos, sometimes you can't wait for one bird to move.

The second image shows a single gannet looking out to sea. This is similar to a photo of a kittiwake I sent a couple of weeks ago - the bright colour of the bird caused the background to be dark. The bright fuzzy spots are out of focus birds on the cliffs below.

I liked the two nests at the very peak of Bird Rock and that they had chosen to build nests where there were few others. The gannet in the background doesn't other me too much in this image. The other photos show additional scenes of this beautiful bird on the cliffs of Cape St. Mary's.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide showsPublish Post
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

1 comment:

NL Nature said...

Great photos. Thanks for sharing them!
T.

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...