Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Boats 3






After the collapse of the northern cod fishery in the late 80s, I used to see many boats that had been hauled up on shore and left to rot. Today I chose to share a few images that I've taken over the years that show boats in a state of disrepair. As I made these images, I thought that I was documenting a transition in the culture of outport Newfoundland and Labrador. Now that I look back after 20+ years I realize that I was right and the images I made are becoming more valuable (historically) over time.

The first photo was taken in Amhearst Cove, Bonavista Bay in the early 90s. I wondered why the boat ended up in a ditch fairly far from the ocean. The only thing I could figure that it fell there when it was being moved. The owner may have figured it was damaged too much to fix and left it. Of course that is only a guess and I may be totally wrong.

The second image shows a damaged boat near the water in Bay Bulls. As you can see the front and bottom are damaged making this boat useless. The boat in the third image was just about gone when I made the photo. I liked the remains of the boat along with the lobster pots, many of which were also broken. You will see the boats in the other images are also in poor shape and were probably never used again after the photos were taken.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...