Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Blue Jay

I don't remember seeing blue jays around Grand Falls when I was a kid, but there have been lots of them around since I moved to Holyrood. A pair visit my house every day to check for food. All winter I threw out sunflower seeds and several species of birds still visit even though I have given up feeding them.

The blue jays are smart birds and keep their distance, but I feel they have learned that my wife and I are sources of food. They will come closer than any other blue jays I have observed over the years. I have a feeling we could train them to come even closer, but there are two things keeping me from doing just that. First, we have two cats and my son has two cats which often hang around here. Secondly, I feel it would be a mistake if they learned to trust people because the next people they come across may not be as quite as friendly and they may be hurt or killed.

The day I took these photos, I was sitting quietly on my back deck when they arrived. I observed them for a while, then went inside to get my camera. I returned a few seconds later and they flew into the trees, but as soon as I settled, they once again flew to the ground for food. They kept a close eye on me, but didn't seem to be too afraid.

If any of you get photos of birds, or anything else of interest, feel free to send them to our Photo Album Project at school -
www.mqp.k12.nf.ca/photoalbum . Send photos to me or mqpphotos@mqp.k12.nf.ca



No comments:

Tulips

Tulips Tulips are a sign of spring, but my tulip gardens are under a foot or two of snow. It will be a while before we see the beauty of the...