Saturday, October 23, 2010

Highbush Cranberries






I will probably return to the Banff series again, but decided to move on to Colours of Fall with a series of photographs I made in my yard a few days ago. I have stated several times in the past that I often walk around my yard making photographs of the same plants and flowers in different seasons and have been doing this since moving to Holyrood in 1982.

There are several highbush cranberry shrubs growing on my property despite all the trauma to the land when it was excavated 3 years ago. These plants are prolific producing white flowers in late spring/early summer which result in the red berries which you see in today's photographs. I have tasted these berries and they are bitter, though I have read that they make excellent sauces and jellies. I have never picked them nor heard of anyone who did. If anyone on this list has made sauces or jellies from highbush cranberries, I would be interested in hearing about your experiences.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...