Saturday, March 15, 2008

X - Xyloglyphy (wood-carving)

As expected, it hard to find a photo that represented the letter X. My first thought was a xylophone, but I couldn't any photos that were good enough to share.

Next, I resorted to looking up words beginning with X and came across Xyloglyphy - wood carving. I remembered a few photos I took in the mid-80s at the Corner Brook Folk Festival, found them, and am sharing today.

Those of you who have been on my Photo of the Day list for a while, know that I like photographing hands, and these are no exception. When I took these photos over 20 years ago, I was adding to my collection of Hands photos, not realizing I would use them to show Xyloglyphy.
I had never heard of the word before last night when searching through X words. I wonder how many people knew this word before today.


Feel free to check more photos of Hands at: http://www.lanephotography.com/hands/hands_01.htm




1 comment:

bearkat said...

hi bruce...someplace i have a couple of photos in a market place in holland of wooden shoes being carved out...part by hand and part by this very simple machine...i thought it was pretty neat to see!..have a good weekend!! :)

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...