Monday, March 10, 2008

R - Royal Tern

Last year while in Florida, I photographed a flock of Royal Terns on a beach in Bonita Springs. It was the first time in my life I had seen this specie of bird. I was surprised that they allowed me to get within 4 feet and that they stayed while I took about 40 photos. They were still there when I left.

The two photos this morning were cropped from the original files because I wanted you to see the pointed beak as well as the details in the black feathers on its head. The common terns we have in this area of the world would not allow me to get as close to their flock. I believe they are smaller as well.

Feel free to check more photos of the Royal Tern at: http://www.lanephotography.com/birds/royal_tern/royal_tern_01.htm








No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...