Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Humpback Whales

Each summer hundreds, if not thousands, of humpback whales migrate to Newfoundland and Labrador for the rich feeding grounds just off shore. I have been fortunate enough to get pretty close to these majestic animals a few times.

Two years ago, I photographed two whales travelling together just off Bauline East on the Irish Loop. Since one was a lot bigger than the other, I assumed it was a mother and young one. The smaller one put on quite a show; slapping its tail on the surface and swirling around the boat.

If you have photographed whales you already know that once they go under the water there is no way to predict where they will surface. I was very lucky to have captured the first image because I was holding the camera just above my waist while waiting for one of the whales to surface.

Luckily, I was using my 17-40 mm wide angle lens because, all of a sudden, the whale jumped out of the water no more than 10 feet from the boat. I didn't have time to look through the viewfinder so I shot several images without raising the camera to my eyes. If I had my telephoto lens, I would have missed this shot. In fact, I think this was the best photo I made that day.

The show continued until our tour boat operator had to get back to port. After we left, the two whales continued on their journey. It seemed like they actually put on a show especially for us!

As usual, I have Whale Galleries on line at:http://www.lanephotography.com/whales/whales_main_01.htm




No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...